Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Social Distancing

It feels like there’s been some quietness on my end virtually everywhere online. It seems like my very own form of online social distancing of sorts, but I simply haven’t been doing much Instagram-ing nor Twittering or even writing much for various reasons. Sometimes I need a break from the world and while I do try to occasionally view above-referenced social media outlets, I haven’t had a ton of time to spend interacting or even gleaning what others are putting out into the world, other than the constant coronavirus/COVID-19 information, which seems to have most of us under a spell right at the moment.

Cute doggy photos make everyone feel better and more relaxed, right? These girls are happy to still be getting in their walks/runs every day.

At the end of last year, I decided to give up my secondary job as a school crossing guard for a different job within the school system. I have always thought that I may want to teach (and actually have in various venues over the years – though never in schools), but it’s never really been the right time in life to give it a try. A few years ago I looked into going into an intensive master’s training program in education, but decided that in my advancing years (though for the record I do not consider myself old), I wasn’t sure if I wanted to invest the time/money in something I wasn’t entirely certain I would 1) be good at, and 2) enjoy for the long term. Then, an opportunity came up in which I would be able to substitute teach for the local school district without needing to invest in additional education. It seemed like a good time to test out my interest in this area and still give me time to work in my primary job. It is the beauty of a part-time gig, and particularly this part-time job — being able to flex the schedule to work around other needs.

The last day of physically being in classrooms locally was last Thursday, and I happened to be subbing in a class that day as the announcements were made for students to prepare for the possibility that classes could be cancelled. At the time, most of us thought it was just an over-abundance of caution and that school would most likely continue, but within hours it was obvious that local spreading was happening faster and the powers that be made the decision to shut down all school districts in the metro area to hopefully help contain those being infected.

I was happy to learn that arrangements were being made to still get students their meals because many families depend on the kids getting breakfast/lunch while at school. I also couldn’t help but have concern for those who could potentially be affected by this if closure goes on for any length of time. At present, school closures are scheduled only through the end of spring break (which would bring students back at the end of March); however, I don’t realistically see that happening. Although plans are being made to instruct students online for the duration of the semester (if it becomes necessary), there will be employees affected by this — for example, substitute teachers, classroom aides, custodial staff, and so on. Perhaps the district will make the decision to continue to pay those on a regular work schedule, such as the custodial staff and other school aides, but I know as a substitute I have no guaranteed hours or contract, so if I have no work I do not get paid.

For me, it’s not end of the world (assuming of course that my partner is able to continue working). While I do somewhat depend on the income, there are others who will experience a much greater hit with this loss and I can’t help but feel for them. With the possibility that physical school may not resume until the fall, it’s something that is going to have an impact.

There are so many industries right now that could be devastated by this shut down, and more importantly, the individuals working in those fields. Restaurants, bars, gyms, mass transit, and many retailers are not going to be able to withstand long-term closings. Finding ways to support these places can be difficult if we aren’t sure our own income will continue, and while also trying to keep ourselves and others from spreading the virus.

Over the weekend, we decided to get out and ride our bicycles, or in our case, our bicycle since we were traveling on the tandem. Exercise of any sort is always a great way for me to relieve tension and riding a bike is definitely my favorite. It was wonderful to see that others had not completely holed up at home and that many were out walking, running, hiking and riding bikes. We would wave from a distance and smile, knowing that we’re all going through this together. I think it’s easy to get caught up in the idea that we need to isolate and then turn that into not leaving home, but as long as we’re still keeping distance between ourselves and others and continuing to follow recommended hygiene protocols, there’s no reason not to get out and enjoy the sunshine (or, as was the case when we rode, the cloudy cold).

Although this outbreak seems to have a large level of uncertainty accompanying it, I hope that we are all finding ways to stay active and find good stress relievers as we navigate through this time. I hope that most will not have to deal with loss of income and that we will come together to help when/where we are each able.

Wherever you are as you read this, please stay safe and healthy, and hopefully, you are able to enjoy some time riding your bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.