Saturday, March 26, 2022

Tern HSD - It's Electric!

I have found a new love. 

And I fear that I have become completely obsessed.

But first, let me go back a bit to tell the tale of how this all started. For readers who have hung in with me during our 2021 move, you know that it's been a bit challenging for me to sneak in rides since the move. Don't get me wrong, I still ride, but with time constraints when engrossed in a complete house redo/renovation, the usual carve out of time just isn't there. My life has become consumed by house fixing and I spend most of my days doing work to repair this severely-neglected, old house. 

Over the last many months, I have found that not only have I lost my cycling strength due to not riding as frequently, but my many ailments have compounded that loss of strength. To boot, we have moved ourselves to a nice little hilly area where it's nearly impossible to go anywhere and avoid some sort of climbing (a skill I'd mastered, living at the base of the Rocky Mountains somehow - of course, there was more flat land to be found there, too). I've just never been a great climber, and when I'm prepared for it, the work can be done, but it's definitely not my strength.

With our move, the typical going-to-my-bicycle-to-run-errands has pretty well diminished to near-never. To be fair, a lot of this is due to what I'm picking up when running errands these days, but I wasn't feeling great about what had happened. Not only was I not riding much for sport, but I'd also pretty well eliminated my transportation riding. Ugh.

One day, I decided to ride to the gym to work out. I was feeling a little jealous watching Sam do his rides to the gym every morning and then continuing on to work. I kept telling myself, that used to be me - I always rode to the gym and to run basic errands around town, but it's amazing how easy it is to fall into habits without even realizing it has happened. The need to grab some giant load of materials often meant that it was easier to drive and then pick up what was needed on the way home, rather than taking my bicycle. It doesn't help that we're on the opposite side of town from the home improvement stores and that there's no direct/easy path to get to them via bike (well, there is one if I ride on the highway - but that is its own special nightmare). It is doable, but it takes some effort and frankly, as drained as I have been, I just couldn't muster the energy needed to make it happen. Granted, it's a lame excuse (I'm not denying that), but it is reality.

Anyway, I decided to ride to the gym and took my road bike. It was not my smartest idea, but I was thinking it would be easier to ride and I'd get there faster, but I remembered quickly how much better it is when one is more upright in position for city riding. I have a more upright bike I could've chosen, that has a rack and a bag, etc, but it weighs twice as much and I didn't want to fight with the hills. 

I've been thinking a lot about electric bikes as well and how I believe they have a real chance of changing the minds of more people when it comes to getting around. I have always thought that an electric bicycle wasn't something I needed or wanted. I've never objected to others riding or owning them, but I guess I felt a bit like it just wasn't something for me. I like the idea of getting around under my own power, the work that goes into that, but after test riding an e-assist bike, it really changed my thought process. I realized how beneficial it can be for a variety of people - both those who are fit and those who are perhaps still working on fitness. Maybe now was the perfect moment in time for me to look into an electric-assist bicycle for transportation? 

So, I started doing homework, investigating, digging, reading, and trying to figure out what would make the most sense. I wanted something that would be able to carry stuff - more stuff than I'd normally carry on a bike. I wanted to be able to get a few bags of groceries, take packages for drop off, and things of that sort. Perhaps a cargo e-bike made sense? Years ago I'd looked at Yuba, so I took a look at those again, but it seemed like a lot of bike - as though it made more sense for someone with young children being transported regularly. Still, it was a possibility. I'd seen some good things about Benno as well, so did some research on those too. Of course, there are tons of options to look into from Rad Bikes to Blix and so, so, so many others. I'd also seen and read a bit about Tern, but honestly, I pretty well glossed over them because I just didn't like the idea of the 20 inch wheel size. I've always thought that folding bikes were adorably cute, but I have also always thought I'd feel like a circus bear riding a tiny bike, such as the Tern.

G.E. rides a tiny bike... or at least my mental image of what I look like on a tiny bike.

All the research was giving me a headache though and one can only read so much before actual rides need to happen -- and I did think it was important to ride the bikes I was interested in to get a real-world opinion of how they could function for me. Fortunately, we have an electric bike store in town and they happen to stock a slew of brands, so I could test ride to my heart's content. Not one to ever turn down a test ride, I was off (with poor Sam in tow for this slightly unnecessary adventure).

Upon arrival at the shop, I was feeling pretty set on the Benno brand, so that was what I wanted to ride first. I did ask if there was anything that the shop thought I should test out and they recommended the Tern. I listened as the shop worker described the good things about each of the two and recommended that, since the two of us were there, that we take one of each, and then we could switch out to see if there was a preference for one over the other. So, we were off on our way, me on the Benno Boost and Sam on the Tern HSD P9.

It was Sam's first experience riding an electric bike, so it was fun just to see what he had to say. When we stopped to switch bikes he said, "Wow! That was a bit startling in full-blast mode." I just smiled. Moving among "eco," "sport," "tour," and "turbo" it was easy to feel that there is definitely a difference in the level of assistance being provided. 

The features of these two bikes were quite similar, but the Tern felt a bit more steady to me (and to Sam). This could be simply because neither of us are tall, so being closer to the ground with the 20" wheels of the Tern helped us each feel more stable with a lower center of gravity. But, when returning to the shop, I knew that the Tern was a much better fit for my needs/wants. Still, I wasn't loving the idea of the small wheels. It seems silly to get hung up on such a little thing (no pun intended), but it was a difficult mental barrier to get over.

When we returned to the shop, another employee recommended that I test out the Tern HSD S8i (the internally geared option), which is the same bike with a Gates belt drive and 8-speed Shimano Nexus hub. I didn't really think that was necessary, but after asking if it would feel different, the shop recommended giving it a try. 

I haven't ridden or owned an internally geared bike for a number of years, but didn't have a real objection to trying it, so off I went with one of the shop employees for another ride.  I started to think about the potential benefits of an internally geared city ride with the belt drive, such as making weather a little easier to deal with, being able to shift from a stopped position, not needing to lube a chain, and so on. But, I also didn't object to the derailleur either. It's not that big of a deal to lube a chain, and I don't need to shift from a stopped position as (at least most of the time, unless I'm having a lost-in-thought moment) I do know how to shift, and the fenders make dealing with weather easier on either bike. 

One thing I did recognize as the two of us rolled along the trail next to the river on a gloriously sunny afternoon -- I was falling in love with this bike. 

Uh oh. 

I forgot about the mental image of looking like a circus bear riding a tiny bicycle and I was just... enjoying the ride. I was picturing riding to the grocery store, delivering packages to UPS/FedEx/USPS, and, deity help me, I was even imagining getting a dog trailer to pull Miss B-dog to parks, trails, and the river -- all without ever getting in a car. Each of these brought a smile, and all of it made me picture life getting back to something resembling what it used to be in the not-so-distant past.

I do have some level of restraint (though some might argue otherwise), so we left the shop without a bicycle. Sam and I chatted as we walked away about the possibilities and what could make sense, so I said I would do more research and make some sort of decision in the not too distant future. We watched a few video reviews at home later that evening and I read a bit more, but I could feel that I had already made my choice.

I didn't sleep that night. I tossed and turned and obsessed about how great this bike had the potential to make life. It is a lot of money to spend on a bicycle, so I was also aware that it would need to be viewed in more of a car-replacement light, and in less of an n+1 type of light, and I think that made the most sense. Anything that allows for less driving, I am happy to lean in that direction.

The next day, I felt ill as I mentally debated whether it would be worth the cost, but knowing that Sam was okay with the purchase, I headed to the shop. I asked a few additional questions, and inquired about accessories they had available, and then... made the purchase. Ack! This was a big purchase, but I really believed it had the power to change not just a mode of transportation, but my currently diminishing enthusiasm in regard to riding. I knew that my excitement about riding would return at some point, but this was something that had potential to get me back on my path quicker.

When Sam got home, I heard him state as he clomped up the back stairs to enter the house, "You made up your mind the minute you rode it. I'm not sure why we even left without it." 

I realized he'd seen the Tern as he'd parked his own bike and I couldn't help but smile... he wasn't wrong.

To address something that I know will bother some, I'm going to touch briefly on the electric piece of this bike.  Perhaps one of the reasons some people object to electric bikes is the perception that there is no work involved in riding. We've all heard the term "cheating" in reference to those riding electric bicycles, but there are such a wide variety of options, that I don't really think it's great phrasing to use (not to mention that anything that gets someone on a bike shouldn't be thought of as cheating). People often tell us we're cheating when riding our (non-electric) tandem bicycle (though, anyone who thinks this is cheating should really try riding it), when that is not the case at all.

This particular category of electric is e-assist. There are some electric bikes that have a throttle (akin to a scooter or motorcycle) and allow a rider not to pedal but still maintain momentum, however the electric-assist type requires the rider to pedal in order to get any benefit from the electric part of the bike. It truly is just a bit of a boost to help with wind  - or hills - or lack of fitness, if/when needed. It should be fairly obvious that when carrying a load of cargo on a bicycle, the assistance could be quite beneficial. Who wants to run errands and be dripping in sweat after climbing a few hills with that extra weight? Maybe it's okay in some circumstances, but there are many times when having a little boost would be very appreciated.

The Tern HSD S8i is not lightweight for a bicycle, but is fairly light for an e-assist cargo-ish type bike. The stated weight is around 57 lbs (without racks, bags, etc), which, for anyone who's weighed a standard road bike will attest, is certainly stout; but when compared to some other electric options weighing in at over 100 lbs, it's truly more of a featherweight by comparison. 

What I find super useful on this bike (beyond the e-assist, which is definitely a fantastic feature) is all of the potential carrying spots. This particular bike is outfitted with a front porteur rack, a rear rack, double panniers, wired front and rear lights, a kickstand, a bell, and the potential to add other options (like a seat for kiddos, if needed, or a flat bed rack for additional carrying capacity). For such a small bike, it really packs quite a lot. While a lot of these things could be added to most any bicycle, it all seems to come together nicely on the HSD, and it has a fairly hefty carrying capacity at 374 pounds. 

I had plans to ride the HSD on its inaugural post-purchase ride to the gym and to drop off a few items at UPS; however, it was snowing that day and, silly as it sounds, I didn't want to have our first ride together in the snow. I know, I know, it sounds so nonsensical, but there's something about making the first trip in the snow that just seemed disrespectful. It's not that I won't ride it in the snow or rain, but I didn't want that to be our first. So, instead, it ended up being the following day to get a few groceries. 

The purchases that day fit easily into one of the panniers, along with my wallet, the bike lock, and a few other small items - with space to spare. I was struggling a bit with the cafe lock, and finding a suitable place to lock the bike itself up was a challenge, but other than that, everything went splendidly. 

The second ride was to the gym, during which I threw my packed backpack into one side of the panniers, after which Sam and I rode to pick up breakfast bagels and a coffee. I realized quickly that it would be nice to have some sort of cup holder, so went on a hunt for one that would work well because strapping it to the front rack with a bungee was less than ideal, as was evidenced by the liquid remaining on the rack when we stopped. 

Subsequent rides were very similar, until it was time to head to the grocery store again. The next trip to the market the panniers did a decent job, though they still weren't absolutely packed to the limit. Each one will fit two bags of groceries (at least), which is great as I typically don't buy more than 4 (maybe 5) bags of groceries in a single run.


As can be seen, there is still more room inside the panniers, if carrying more items was necessary. My reusable grocery bags are fairly large themselves (they have more capacity than the typical paper or plastic grocery bag), and they fit side-by-side inside without issue.

There is also an interior mesh pocket and a second pocket with a zipper, which I find very useful for a variety of purposes. They pocket without the zipper is great for holding a cable lock, gloves, a mask, and other smaller items that may get lost inside the main compartment.

Please forgive my dirty-looking hands. I'd been grouting tile and despite all of my hand scrubbing, couldn't get the grout haze off my hands. :(

The zipper pocket is good for things that may have a tendency to move around a lot that get misplaced inside the main compartment, such as keys, cards, and items of similar size.

As for things I find a bit unsatisfactory or challenging (after all, nothing is perfect), I will say that it's a tad more difficult to maneuver this bike than I anticipated when getting into/out of areas (like storage, parking, etc) that are more cramped. For such a small bike, it's a bit of a pain in tight spaces. This may be partially due to the front rack, but even before the rack was on, I didn't find it super easy to move. Because of the weight, I don't want to pick it up unnecessarily, but find that I often must, simply to get it where I need it. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's also not ideal. If I lived in an apartment with stairs, I definitely wouldn't want to be hauling it up and down - but perhaps that is just me and the fact that I've grown used to having bikes stored at ground level.

Another flaw I've found is that it sits so upright that I wish it was just a bit leaned forward (just a bit). It's nice to have a view of everything around, but when I take longer in-town rides, my backside feels more pressure than I'd typically want. Usually, city trips mean lots of stops though, so I can make do with the bolt-upright position on the bike -- though I probably wouldn't use it for touring or things that took me far outside of town. Again, for some this may not be a flaw at all, but for me, it's not the best position to ride in, particularly over longer distances. I'm still fussing a bit with positioning on the bike, so hoping to find a good spot for me to ride that relieves a bit of pressure, though in my experience, this is simply the nature of an upright bicycle.

As has been mentioned in reviews, I find the cafe lock on the rear wheel a bit challenging, though not for the reasons most mention. Many have found it an annoyance to have to leave the key in the lock when riding, but honestly, I don't mind that aspect. I have a much bigger issue getting the key into the lock and then releasing it. I have discovered that it often sticks and doesn't want to budge. With use, it seems to be getting a little easier, but I find that I need to allow extra time to deal with potential problems, and inevitably, it's uncooperative when I'm in a hurry. The solution seems to be not to use the cafe lock for the rear wheel, but this leaves the bike vulnerable to battery theft when unattended, as the key is coded for both the battery and the cafe lock, and must remain in the lock when unused.

In retrospect, I probably didn't need to have the internal hub and belt drive for this bike, but I don't regret it (at least yet) either. I do appreciate that it will require a little less maintenance, and when having more than one bike, that can be a nice feature.

Despite any of the things that may seem derogatory, I really do like this bike! I am thankful to have it to use for daily purposes and it's been an excellent addition to the bike fold. I also appreciate that both of us in our household can use it, though I will likely be the primary user. 

Has anyone else had the opportunity to pick up an electric bicycle? What do you like and/or dislike about it? Would you buy one again? Would you do anything different regarding your choice? Would love to hear about others' experiences, if you're willing to share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.