Monday, November 25, 2019

Autumn Bike Burnout

Every year, there comes a point in the later portion when I find myself struggling to ride my bike. Transportation wise, I continue to ride (at least when possible) but when it comes to riding for sport or fitness, I find that my body is asking for a break. Some days it’s mental burnout, other days it is a physical need for some time away from riding.

This year, I set a goal to ride more miles (excluding transportation miles) than I have any year in the past, so the fall-time burnout came a little earlier than I anticipated. Pushing myself, particularly during the summer to get in longer and/or more frequent rides, pedal more challenging terrain — it took a toll, especially late in the year. My knees, which aren’t great to begin with, were starting to feel the limits I have pushed. I have been tired overall, and there doesn’t seem to be any escaping that reality.

Ultimately, I reached my cycling mileage goal in early October. It surprised me a bit because I had expected that it would be more of a challenge to hit the number, but it quickly became a “how-many-can-I-pedal-now” game, which only intensified the burnout already taking place. The physical issues were taking over too and as my knees began to ache daily, I knew something had to give.

Whether fortunate or not, our snowy, cold weather started earlier than usual this year. While it’s not uncommon to get snow as early as September or October in these parts, generally it melts swiftly and doesn’t produce much more than an inch or two. This year, things have been a little more intense on the weather front. Even as I type, we’re expecting a foot of snow overnight, and it hasn’t been uncommon to see snow each week for the last several weeks.

As is also common for me in the autumn months, I’ve been doing some bike change ups. Two have been sold (with the possibility of a third heading out) and two new have arrived to the biking fold. With only a tad over 500 miles combined on the pair, I’m not quite ready to write about them, but I will say that thus far I am content with the changes that have been made and have done my best to squeeze in rides when time and weather permit.

The new-to-me bikes have probably aided in adding to the burnout I’m experiencing as well. Although it’s exciting to ride new/different bikes, when my body is asking for a break, it wants the break regardless of what I’m pedaling.

As we get closer to the end of November, and prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving here in the US, I am reminded that although I’m not in support of the origination of this particular holiday, I am thankful/grateful for many things – including having the opportunity to even experience cycling burnout.

Although I haven’t done a ton of writing during the latter portion of this year, I have been busy riding, making, working, and carrying on with life’s happenings. It’s been challenging to find time to sit and write about everything, and then it can sometimes feel as though too much time has passed to bother writing. I expect that 2020 is going to bring about some changes and I’m doing my best to prepare both physically and mentally for what may be on the way, and that includes letting my body have a cycling break when needed.

So, to anyone who’s also experiencing a bit of cycling burnout this year, I hope you’re giving yourself a break when needed, allowing your body time to heal as it asks, and remaining grateful that our bodies allow us to continue to ride, walk, run and participate in the many activities life offers. Wishing you and yours a happy, healthy, safe Thanksgiving — that’s free of any type of burnout!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.