Friday, May 20, 2011

Some Things Never Change

It's funny what moving can do to a person. I have personally gone through a range of emotions with the move to our new home - everything from absolute glee to be in a location we've wanted to be in for so long, to fear of being trapped permanently in a certain area and not having the freedom to go where I want to go without notice. I've never been a person who wanted a stable location for living, and while I do understand for some people that is an ultimate goal in life, for me, it turns on feelings of a fear of being trapped. Call it the free spirit in me, or perhaps it has to do with some childhood trauma (though I have no idea what it would be), I just don't like the idea of living somewhere forever. Forever is a long time, and how do I really know what I will want down the line?

The last bit of unpacking has been a set of boxes full of books. We weren't prepared to unpack them because we didn't have a book shelf that was an appropriate size to fit all of them - until a few days ago. After painting the bookshelf yesterday, today I started unpacking the books and fitting them in their space on the shelves. As I was going through the books, I found a diary I had completed when I was 12 years old.  It was so funny to go through this book. It was one of those pre-filled out books that I likely purchased at a book fair, but the answers to some of the questions and fill-in-the-blank statements cracked me up.

One of my favorites was finding this particular page:
If you cannot read the page, it states that I wanted to live to be 125 years old and that I will "do anything that I'm still able to do." I found this amusing because 1) I thought it was rather insightful for a 12 year old to realize that one probably wouldn't be doing much at 125 years of age, and 2) that I chose the age of 125. I've always had a fear of my own death, and I suppose, even as a child I was trying to put it off as long as possible.

After discovering that page, I came across another that made me realize that indeed many things do not change as we age.
I love this page because I have always said that children were not something I was in need of to have a full and engaging life, but even at this young point in life, I only wanted one child... that is, unless of course I had twins. I've always had an obsession with twins for some reason too. While as an adult I realize what a challenge that could be, it doesn't quell my curiosity about double births, nor does it stop me from wondering what it would be like to have twins. Especially entertaining on this page were the names I came up with for the children. I have been accused (on more than one occasion) of coming up with strange or unusual names for my pets, but these poor kids would be teased mercilessly. Name 1: Lazely (for a girl); name 2: Jerraz (for a girl); 3: Lambery (for a boy); 4: Jefalomaw (for a boy). Good lord! Where did I even come up with these names?!

My favorite page to come across was one that I think many of us can agree with...
"If I could stay up all night I would: Stay up and ride my bike all night." I think that about sums it all up. Some things truly don't change.

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I sometimes marvel in the idea of keeping something for that long, and being able to look back (like you have today). Pretty cool. "stay up and ride my bike all night", that seems about right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that page... I think I had just received my first mountain bike and I was very excited about it... probably why I was obsessing. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.