I'm not well-known for being a mary sunshine, particularly in the early morning hours. I like to warm my way into the day, and as Sam will attest, when I get up in the morning, even if it's later in the day, I tend to slowly move into things. That said, I try not to inflict my inability to immediately jump into the day on others, and as I pass people on my bike who are walking or riding their bicycles, I say good morning as I ride by, send out a quick hello, or offer a little nod in their direction. It could be that I was brought up in a small-ish city and was taught that it is impolite not to greet people, or maybe it's just the sheer glee of riding a bicycle, but any way around it, I find myself doing this 99% of the time. I will admit that the other 1% of the time I am spaced out in my own little world and sometimes simply am unaware of people around me.
The fact that the person looks at me causes me to believe that it's not that they are "spaced out," or that they haven't heard me, but rather that they are making a conscious effort not to respond. I also understand that sometimes the workout is intense and perhaps the person is simply focused, but I don't think this is the case for the majority of people I'm passing. So, what do you think? Does it bother you when someone says hello as you cross paths? Am I crazy for greeting people as I go by, or is this just the reality I need to get used to? Feel free to leave your thoughts, or take the poll.