Sunday, February 21, 2010

Electra Haters vs. Electra Lovers

What is up with all of the Electra haters out in the bicycling world? I am entirely perplexed by this. I feel as though every time I start looking for something (usually completely un-Electra related), I come upon a series of blogs, posts, and so on that are bashing Electra. Is it the affordable cost? Is it the fun choices? Really, I would love to know what the issue is for these folks who just seem to be hell bent on ripping the company apart. I truly would like to know any information that someone can provide. All I keep hearing (reading) is that Electra's are just of such poor, poor quality, but no one wants to lay down any specifics or facts. I know that the Townie's got a bad reputation because of some recalls, but quite honestly, owning three of them - Electra's, not specifically Townie's (and overall we've actually had four at one point in the flock), I don't quite get it. I understand that they don't have the hundred year reputation of some of the Dutch/German/Italian/Japanese/etc companies out there, but does that automatically mean that they make an inferior product?

So, as a service to anyone who's thinking about purchasing an Electra, I felt it is my duty to provide another side to the glaringly one sided information that seems to permeate the internet blogs and bicycle resources. You can get company information easily by typing Electra Bicycles into any search engine, so I figure that much is a given base of knowledge for someone doing research, but what is it actually like to ride their bicycles?

First on the list of reviews is one of Electra's cruiser bicycles: The Daisy.

My Electra Daisy is named Stuart. Yes, I gave the bicycle a boy's name. It's a long story, that I shan't go into here, but Stuart is my fabulously wonderful cruiser bicycle. I have taken Stuart on a variety of rides from short couple mile trips, to longer rides up to 20 miles round trip. Some people claim that you can't ride a cruiser bike these sort of distances, but believe me, I'm no athlete, and certainly don't have a svelte shape by any means. Yet, I have taken Stuart up and down the hills here on the front range of Colorado without issue. Sure, the steeper hills are an issue with the three speeds and weight of the bicycle, but honestly, there aren't THAT many super steep hills that I have to worry about. And hey, I just make it one of my goals to get up to the top without having to stop and walk him up the hill. Yes, he is a heavier bicycle (about 40 lbs before all his add ons like a front basket, rear rack - and now he actually has panniers as well for grocery store trips), but it just makes for a nice smooth ride. He's no speed demon, certainly, but if you're on a cruiser, are you really looking to ride in a hurry? There are other bicycles for quick moving trips. One of the best features (besides the gentle ride) is the fun color scheme. Sure, there are lots of bicycles out there that have different solid colors, but Stuart is a sight for sore eyes when I see that fun floral pattern. People always want to stop and talk to you when you're on this kind of fun bicycle, and people always want to stop and ask where you found such a bike, or just to say, "cool bike." For me, Stuart is also the bicycle that got me really "into" riding again. I started bicycling again in adulthood a few years ago to work, but hands always went numb and I was miserable. After getting Stuart, my whole world seemed to open up. I realized that I didn't have to be in pain to ride, and so I rode. Simple enough.

Next on the list is Electra's Amsterdam model, the Classic 3i. My particular model is in the green sunflower.

This picture shows the Amsterdam the way she came to me: beautiful, fun and full of life. I have a weird problem with naming my bicycles, and because I just fell in love with the fun spirit of this particular bicycle, she needed a fun name: Phoebe. Phoebe is AWESOME! Once again, she's equipped with a three speed internal hub that manages to get me wherever I need to go. She is a bit lighter than Stuart (running about 35 pounds as pictured above), and she definitely has a different feel to her. The first time I rode her after being so used to Stuart's smooth ride, I thought I wasn't going to enjoy her. I was so tense on my short initial ride that I had sore neck and shoulders for days afterward. When I realized it was my body tensing, I just relaxed and allowed Phoebe to do what she does. I guess the best way to describe it is a more loose steering, rather than the tighter feel of Stuart's steering. After the second ride though, I just loved everything about Phoebe. She was easier to peddle up the hills, I felt as though I could ride her longer distances, and soon I decided to add a Wald front basket so I could throw my purse in front, instead of on the back. I also tried out a Brooks B67S saddle for a time.

While the Brooks saddle seemed to be doing well, after a couple of rides, I realized that it just didn't work well for me. I have nothing bad to say about Brooks, but for me, this saddle wasn't the answer on this particular bicycle, so back on went the original saddle. This bicycle also garners quite a bit of attention from just about everyone passing by. It's hard to miss a bright green bicycle with pink and blue accessories. People often comment on the bicycle, and others just stare and smile as I ride by. This is definitely not a model for someone who doesn't want to speak to strangers. For example, one day Sam and I were riding in town and while crossing at an intersection, a guy rolled down his truck window to say, "Nice bike." As I said, she's difficult not to notice. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this bicycle. Once again, you won't win any speed challenges, but I'm not looking to do so. However, she definitely moves faster than Stuart, so I felt as though I was indeed a speed racer when I first started riding this particular bicycle.

My third model of Electra bicycle is the women's Ticino 7D.

Ahh, the Electra Ticino. This one doesn't have a name yet, as I haven't landed on the 'perfect' name yet, but I assure you, it is not for lack of charm or ride-ability. The picture I have here also shows a Wald front basket and a rear rack (after all, I've become accustomed to being able to just go and throw my stuff as needed) that were added after market, as well as a silver Electra mirror and a fabulous peachy-yellow colored handlebar rose. This particular model is an interesting fit in the line up. First, the frame is aluminum (not hi-ten steel like the cruiser and Amsterdam above), so it is incredibly light. I don't have the weight on this particular model, but I can easily lift it up quite high without issue, so it is quite different in that sense. It's sort of like a road bike in that regard, but the geometry and gearing isn't really like a road bike. The geometry is kind of similar to the Amsterdam, but you do lean a bit more forward, but it is still upright riding. This model also has a derailleur, rather than the internal hub like the above models. It also has 7 speeds, rather than just three. It obviously then provides more mid-range gears for hills, so it can be beneficial. Quite honestly though, after riding the heavier bikes up and down the hills around the area, I find I don't need them because the Ticino is so much lighter. Initially, I really wanted the Ticino 8D, but this was simply because I fell in love with the wintermint color. I just felt I couldn't justify the extra cost, especially considering the herd of bicycles already sitting in the garage. The oyster color on the 7D is quite lovely though, and I'm actually quite happy that I ended up with this particular model. If you can't tell from the picture above, it is a mixte frame, which was another reason I fell in love with the bike.

It's not the best picture of the frame itself, but is far more lovely than I was able to capture with the camera. One of the benefits of the mixte frame is the strength, and despite the fact that we here in the states like to call them a "women's" bicycle, I really think this needs to change to be called a step-through style of bicycle. I see nothing wrong with a man riding this bike (well, perhaps I'd remove the flower - but hey, lots of guys like flowers too, right?). The ride is a bit quicker than the Amsterdam, and significantly faster than the cruiser, but because it has an aluminum frame, you also feel more of the road. This really doesn't bother me in the least, but it is definitely a difference in ride going from one bicycle to the next.

Honestly, I just can't sing high enough praises for the Electra line up of bikes, particularly as it allows those with a sub-$1500-2500 budget to buy a great bike that's fun to ride. After all, isn't that the point: to get out on your bicycle? I'm not knocking any other brands of bicycles, and believe me, if I had extra thousands lying around, I'd likely purchase some of those as well, but I just felt that I had to say that I really love my Electra's and I am so grateful to enjoy each one of them for their individual qualities.

Ride on!

19 comments:

  1. I am an Electra Lover as well.

    We have 2 Electras and love them both. My wife has a men's 21D townie and I have a custom Rockabilly Boogie Cruiser. She is thinking of adding the 7D Ticino (same colour as yours) to our Electra fleet and we found this blog during a Google image search.

    We love our Electras and have recommended them to many friends who have bough one and love them too. Most people who try ours really like them too.

    We are on your side, Electras are great! Haters are lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad that you're enjoying your bikes! The Ticino is a very capable bike, and a lot lighter (I found) than the cruisers, so it could definitely be a nice option to add into the fold. Good luck with the decision, and keep riding. :O)

      Delete
    2. I have an Electra blue daisy, and I love her! She's the most comfortable bike I've ever had. She has her drawbacks -- heavy, wide turning radius -- but she's perfect for me. At first I was afraid "serious" cyclists might look down on me for riding her, but I've gotten big smiles, bicycle bell rings, thumbs up, "great bike," etc. from them with nary a critical remark.

      Delete
  2. hi I am soo excited to become part of thos Electra club...yeah i am trying to decide between a 2012 womans 8Dand a 2013
    7D? any thoughts... partly colors and I heard the 7 D takes hills easier due to bigger ring in the back... I am coming off
    a cannindale jekyl and road bike soo all new and exciting,,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bought my 7D, I didn't notice a difference between the 7D and 8D. That said, I also didn't take either up any major hills while test riding. If you have the opportunity, I would advise trying both so you can see if it makes a difference for you.

      Good luck with your decision. It will definitely be a different experience than a road bike, and hopefully one you'll enjoy! :O)

      Delete
  3. I think it's their price they are way over priced I would buy one but probably used I could never justify paying so much for a simple cruiser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will agree with you, Oscar, that for a cruiser, the prices can be steep. However, when compared to other brands selling, I think they seem to market at about the going rate for most manufacturers - and there are honestly far more expensive cruisers, such as Shinola's Bixby which retails for around $2,000. For less expensive options, I have recommended folks check out local Craigslist ads, as they can be a much better source for the price-conscious on a fairly new Electra (or other cruiser). The original post here was penned more than 4 years ago and prices have gone up since that time, making it even more challenging for those looking to buy a new, unique looking cruiser (I was in a bike shop just over the weekend and noted that the same model I received in 2009 was now $200 more than it was purchased for several years ago). Electra has also gained in popularity and is more wide-spread across the U.S. now, which has both allowed a bit of price increase, as well as given the second-hand option for those in the market for such a bicycle.

      Delete
  4. What is up with all of the Electra haters out in the bicycling world? ... cruiserbikeselectra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rode a 2015 Electra Amsterdam 3i today. I loved the fit and the ride, but was sorry to see that the only model that has the back rack and skirt protector, as well as the lights, is the 2015 Royal 8i, which is simply a beautiful machine! I tried the Townie (to awkward for me) and the Ticino (too big for me), but the Amsterdam was a perfect fit. It was even better the second and third times I rode it after trying a few other bikes. The shop owner called her rep to see if there would be any changes to the 2016 model, and the rep said no. Does anyone have any ideas about the 2015 models? I seem to be having difficulty finding very recent reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,

      The Amsterdams that I've seen in local bike shops recently have all had the chainguard and fenders. The only model I've seen that doesn't have the rack, lighting, or the skirt guard is the "original" model (it does have fenders and chainguard though). If you get the "fashion" model in the step thru, it should have all the items you're seeking (fenders, rack, lighting, skirt guard, in addition to the other items). If you prefer the original model, I would think most of these items would be easy additions to the bike that any shop that carries the Electra brand should be able to order. The bottle lighting would be a little more challenging (and costly), but still doable.

      As a side note, I did write up a comparison of the Amsterdam 3i as compared to another brand and model, should you have interest. You can find it here.

      Good luck in your search for the right bike.

      Delete
  6. I own an Electra Ticino 8d.
    Great bike to use. But very poor customer service.
    Last year a fender broke and I had to wait for 4 months.
    This year the crankset/chainset is completely worn. To get a new one the shipment to Europe
    (where I live) is announced between June or August.
    As I result I had to buy an other bike because I use it daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is unfortunate. I hope you're able to get the situation resolved quicker than anticipated.

      Delete
  7. I've owned a Townie 21 for over 5 years, so many gears, no hill is a challenge. The quality is unmatched, this bike still looks brand new, to this day I still get comments on it, is a gorgeous magenta, maroon color I've yet to see on any other bike. A smooth ride, for a hefty price tag of 500, but it will probably out live my car.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Just got an electra cruiser as a present and I love it... I really just love it. I do have a question, if I want to place a rear rack does it have to be an electra? Could I use a topeak? I have read that only the eleCyrano rack with the attachment can be used... any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying your cruiser! I may not be the best source for you in regard to the rear rack. I did purchase the Electra rack for my cruiser, so I hadn't tried anything else. I have heard that some people have had success with one of the Bontrager rear racks, but I cannot swear to the validity of this. I believe the biggest issue is the length on the back end of the bike, so it's tougher to get "universal" racks to fit properly. You might ask your shop if you can return the rack if for some reason it doesn't fit and you want to try. Happy Riding! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi, I'm in my fifties and haven't been on a bike in decades. I just got a pretty little 24" Electra Cruiser in light blue. I adore it...it feels sturdy and well made, It looks like some thought was put into making it safe and low maintenance, plus it handles like a dream. I've been out every day on it. I love my little blue bike! ��

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bought my wife a 7d cruiser the Christmas before last. A great bike for her. Particularly the seat but, for a bike that has not a lot of use, lives under cover with a cover, never been at the beach or been in the rain. I'm disappointed to see rust bubbling through the frame.....
    Sometimes you don't get what you paid for....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Myself and my wife are in our 70s and have always had bikes since we were about 7 years old. We have had road bikes and mountain bikes and just lately we sold our Peugeot Toulouse step thru's which we bought in 2003 as they were getting a bit on the heavy side for us. Also We were sitting really high (almost like being on a camel). After a few weeks I was getting to miss riding a bike so I bought an Electra Townie 21 D EQ mens. I must say it was a very different ride from all of the other bikes I had ridden. After my second ride I was getting used to the difference and really just love it. I feel a lot safer at my age being able to put my tootsies on the ground when I stop. Today I ordered an Electra Townie 8D EQ for my wife, so soon we will be riding together again. Where we live on the Romney Marsh near Dungeness in the UK we are spoilt as it is as flat as a pancake for miles, and 5 minutes down the road there is a cycle path which is off road for miles just sheep and geese and of course the sea. We count ourselves lucky living here. Another bonus was that both the bikes are brand new and on sale at half price.

    Best wishes,

    Mike. UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying your new Electra bike! Hope you continue to find many miles of enjoyment. :)

      Delete

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.