Saturday, May 5, 2012

Finding Motivation Outside of Weight Loss


In a few days, I will have been on this new journey for two months. Initially, I lost a solid chunk of weight... and then, it slowed down dramatically. This isn't new for me as any time I have tried to lose weight, I lose it incredibly slowly (despite having plenty to lose). I have never quite understood it, but I've just come to accept that this is the way my body works. It should be a good lesson to never allow it back on my body because, despite what many want to believe, I can literally gain several pounds over night. Because it is so easy to focus on the number on the scale, I have attempted to find other things that provide motivation. It hasn't been easy.
Over the last 5 weeks, I've also started a kickboxing class as was discussed here earlier. I am sore constantly because I push myself to go beyond what I currently believe are my limits, but this action, I believe, is helping change this extremely large body into something new. I have muscles in places I never thought I had muscle. I'm getting stronger, and for once in my life I am actually enjoying it. 
Last night I had an opening to work and ran into a cohort who asked, "Have you lost weight?" I couldn't help but smile because while I haven't lost what I should have over the last month, it was nice that someone else noticed my hard work paying off - even if it isn't on the scale.
I have to remind myself that the number on the scale isn't everything. I started this because I wanted to feel better, be stronger, and know that I am living a healthier life for good - not for a temporary fix. While it's easy to say that I just want to be healthy for health's sake, it's difficult to put in so much work (both food and movement -wise) and not see the number drop the way it should. There are plenty of ways to find motivation - from being able to do something I couldn't do before, to simple comments from others, and I just need to remember that I am progressing, even if it isn't at lightening speeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification is on, but I've turned off the moderation portion in an attempt to make it easier for you to know that your comment has indeed made it through. We'll see how this goes, but I'm hopeful that this will help out and I'll try my best to weed through and remove spammers comments. Additionally, I recommend copying comments before hitting publish as the "blogger comment eater" seems to continue his snacking.