Monday, January 2, 2012

2012: Change is Good

Normally, I am not one to make New Year's resolutions. However, I do think that the beginning of the year is a good time to renew, refresh, and to re-evaluate the direction of life and goals in general. To be able to take the time to reflect and to have the opportunity to perhaps view things in a new way can be invaluable. To that end, I've had many thoughts over the last few months in regard to where things are going in this space, and while I don't want to stop writing entirely, I often feel uninspired or as though I'm entering into repetitive topics, causing me to avoid writing at all (which is not something I want to do). In addition, time constraints have made a regular schedule of putting information here more difficult, so I have been evaluating what to do and the direction I'd like to go, as well as whether or not I want to continue this at all.
Ultimately though, I started this space for myself as a means to kind of track things that were interesting to me at a particular point in time, and also to hopefully have something amusing to look back on at a later date. While sorting out the last boxes from our move (over 8 months ago), I came across a bicycle camera mount I purchased more than a year and a half ago. I had bought it with intention to immediately go home, mount it to the bike as a way of making photography easier while riding. When I found the camera mount, it was still attached to its original packaging.
It was more than a little disappointing to see something I was so excited about not so long ago, buried in a box of unused "stuff." Even more disappointing was the fact that I had never even taken the time to mount it to any bike, let alone making it a regular use accessory. It reminded me that change is sometimes a very good thing to go through though, and so my plans for 2012 for this space include using this tool much more often and perhaps shifting (at least somewhat) the type of posts here. I don't know if it will be something that sticks, but I'd like to give it a try because there are times when I really do think that photos can speak so much more than mere words. I am by no means a photography pro (or even amateur), but I think ride pictures could be an interesting way to share what I get to see while on the bike.
I do have the mount out of (most of) its packaging, so I am on my way to actually using this particular item in the near future. I'm sure there will still be rants about various items, or the occasional post regarding some life event, but I am excited about the opportunity to have a bit of a shift. Other plans for 2012 include figuring out my own herd of bicycles and where I need to be. I have all but put the Bella Ciao up on the chopping block, and I believe this is the direction I am headed. I'm sure in the next couple of weeks there will be a post up regarding it being for sale (if anyone is currently interested, please feel free to e-mail me - but I am fairly certain it will be for sale in the very near future). I want to whittle down the number of bicycles, spend less time worrying about the little specifics, and also have the right variations for my ride style, needs, and life. What that means exactly? Well, I'm still evaluating... but, I definitely don't want to have unused bicycles collecting dust.
So, I just want to thank you for bearing with me as I attempt to figure things out. I'm not entirely certain I even know where this is headed, but I'm excited about having a bit of change. In addition, I hope that everyone had an enjoyable and safe New Year's, and that 2012 will be full of positive growth, good health, and many enjoyable bike rides. Happy New Year, and thank you for continuing to read!

5 comments:

  1. As much as I enjoy your current blogs, I'm looking forward to seeing your anticipated changes! A little variety helps maintain interest on both sides. Your perspective on riding paralles mine to a large degree, so I know I'll love whatever you do.

    Best wishes for the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...for sharing your ideas and for supporting a bit of change. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only recently risen to begin tackling much needed changes, as for too long I've been putting all the burden on my husband. We both are in the paring down mode ourselves. This weekend, I finally followed through on my resolve to sell one of my three bikes, and my Specialized Expodition has a new home and an excited new owner. I've also had to rethink the necessity of having multiple bikes and my tendency to feel like I need to upgrade. I think this recent self-exploration is part of the changes that my husband and I are trying to create for a better 2012. Good luck with the changes you are planning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As your colleague the Fat Cyclist says: "Brakes Work Best When You Use Them". Writing an article a day must be time- and energy consuming and as much as I enjoy reading EVL I'd understand very well if you'd reduce your output to once a week, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely enjoy having this little space on the web, but I do go through spells of finding it more of an albatross than I should. I think having something new to do/share might provide a bit of a re-boot for me. Time will tell.

    Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback. :O)

    ReplyDelete

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.