Friday, November 11, 2011

Some Days You're the Pigeon...

Over this past weekend I had a bit of a run-in with my bike. I was pedaling up a small hill when I stood up to get some power going. Just as I felt I was getting my groove, my pant leg wrapped around the big chain ring on the crank and ripped a nice size hole in my pants. Ugh! It's certainly not the first time this has happened, but it reminded me that when riding a bike without a chainguard, I have to remember to roll up my pant leg (which isn't fun when the temps are freezing), or wear something to keep the pant leg close to my ankle (or wear skirts). Fortunately, they were painting jeans, so it wasn't the end of the world. Still, I'd prefer not to intentionally put holes in my clothes.
I was not riding shoe-less (in case anyone is wondering), but didn't snap the fuzzy photo until I got home.
The incident wasn't one that caused a crash or anything devastating, but about half a mile up the road, my chain broke in a spot that wasn't immediately repairable, which caused me to walk the rest of the way home. Apparently, it was not my day to be on a bicycle. At least I was able to take a closer look at the happenings around the neighborhood at a slower pace, so something good came from the minor incidents. I suppose the saying is true though:  Some days you're the pigeon; some days you're the statue. Fortunately, these minor incidents aren't enough to keep me from riding, and no one was hurt.

Happy Friday to all! May your riding weekend keep you active and flying like the pigeon.

2 comments:

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.