Step One: Take a deep breath and know that it's not the end of the world if this doesn't go well.
|Hillborne awaits the mustache bars|
|Mustache bars are in place and tightened|
|Brakes are on the bars, but not tightened|
|Everything is on, right?|
Sam 1 - G.E. 0
Next, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to tighten the brakes on the handlebars. I looked, and looked, took them off of the bars and looked, but to no avail.
|Searching for tightening mechanism on brakes|
Sam 2 - G.E. - 0
The nice thing about all of these attachments is that everything was already connected to derailleurs and such, so there really wasn't anything for me to do except re-attach them to the bar ends. It seemed simple enough, but while the left side slid right in, the right side was not cooperating at all.
|Shifter just won't slide into the bar end|
Sam 3 - G.E. 0
In all of this, I was proud of myself for at least trying to get the job done without assistance, but I was even more impressed that I didn't have a complete meltdown when it didn't work out. Sometimes, patience is the best route, and knowing your own limitations can be invaluable. While I did attempt, with Sam's tutelage, to get the job done later in the evening, we realized that I just don't have the strength to tighten parts to the level they need to be. But hey, the stuff is on, and that's all that matters. I'll report on the first ride with these bars at a later time, but for now the realization that they are on appropriately is good enough.