Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Weather Outside Isn't Frightful

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that many places across the country have started to experience the winter weather that I don't really enjoy. In other words, the snowy season has arrived. This time last year, we had our fair share of snow on the ground, and even though the roads were mostly clear, the temps were just so frigid that the highways and byways were entirely slippery (which sometimes meant I'd pass on riding my bike). This isn't to say that I didn't ride, because both Sam and I loved the opportunity to be out and enjoy the weather when we were able to... it was just far more challenging.
The picture above of my bicycle, Phoebe, was taken exactly a year ago today. There was snow on the ground, as well as pretty icy situations to deal with, yet we were able and willing to ride through whatever conditions we found ourselves. I was honestly surprised at how many times I was willing to get on my bike, even though I knew I might run into snow, or worse yet, the dreaded ice.

This year, we have yet to see any snow that has stuck (we did have a brief little splattering of snow a couple of weeks ago, but it immediately melted), and I have been horrible about riding my bike. Yesterday, it was 62 degrees, the day before it was 60 degrees, and yet, my bikes sit, waiting in the garage. What gives?
Tony Stark and Annabel Lee await a good ride
I'm trying to figure out what has happened, and why I'm not enjoying this weather that I know will quickly come to an end in the near future. The weather outside is great, so what's keeping me from riding? Ultimately, I think it's been more stress than anything, and while a good bicycle ride would probably aid in relieving at least some of the anxiety that has been on me the last several weeks, I make excuses that I don't have enough time to ride. So, while I busy my head attempting to wrap up this last week of classes, my two-wheeled lad and lass sit, patiently waiting my return to riding.
Just let me get through this week guys, and I promise, our riding time will be here in no time at all.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny: the colder it is, the better I like it. I'm still not confident to ride on snow/ice, but I was blissfully happy during that brief cold snap we had back in November.

    We've been mired in a warm(ish) and damp pattern ever since then, and that's the kind of weather that makes me want to park my bike for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colder weather too. It's refreshing. It's funny to me that the nicer weather has caused me to kind of ignore the bikes... rather amusing!

    ReplyDelete

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.