Saturday, June 5, 2010

First "Real" Ride with Pashley

This morning I had my first ride on the Pashley Princess Sovereign, after her purchase. I wanted to take the bicycle into town (which is about 8 miles or so one way), but the heat is exhausting me, so I decided perhaps our first ride shouldn't be quite that far. I decided we'd head to the grocery store out here in the boonies, which is only about 2-2.5 miles from the house one way. I had some interesting observations on this ride, even though it was short.

First Observation: The standard handlebar grips aren't horribly comfortable, and I imagine that on a longer trek, they would be even less so.
I'm wondering if this style of grip works for anyone on long trips? I recall having similar ones on a bicycle as a kid, and I didn't even like them then. They weren't killing my hands or anything on this trip, but as stated, I suspect that a longer ride would yield different results. It's something about the ridges on them and rather than being a cushion, they become a nuisance to my hands. I actually have a slight imprint from them on my hands. Fortunately, this is probably one of the easiest things to remedy on a bicycle, so I'm not horribly concerned, and intend to see how it goes on a longer ride before making a final judgment. I believe I may also need to bring the handlebars up slightly to avoid any pressure on my hands. Perhaps this adjustment first would help me see if new grips are really a necessity.

Second Observation: I am surprised that the Brooks saddle is not killing my back and/or rear end. Of course, it wasn't a horribly long ride to test this out, but in the past, any time I've tried a Brooks saddle, they just haven't worked for me. In fact, on one ride with the Amsterdam, I had to turn around after two miles to come home because I was in such agonizing pain. Now, I'm used to having constant back pain, so if it was so bad I had to turn around, you know it couldn't have been pleasant. I am, thus far, pleased with my rides on this saddle, and am hopeful that this will be the one that works for me.

Third Observation: I really enjoy the position on this bicycle. While it is upright and a more relaxed position, I am using the bigger leg muscles to peddle. While peddling I am using the quad and calf muscles rather than feeling it so much in my knees, hamstrings, and a bit of calf muscle, as I would/did on the Amsterdam, cruiser and even the Ticino. I think in the long run it is far better for me to use those large quad muscles. The really exciting thing is that I can actually stand up and peddle to get up a hill or start off at a stop, unlike the Electra's that caused me to have to sit in the saddle so that I couldn't power through things.

Final Observation (for now at least): I was a little surprised that the smaller wheels didn't seem to bother me. While I realize that the 26" wheels aren't that big of a deal to most people, I've become used to the 700c wheels, and thought perhaps it would be a big adjustment. As you can see, I made it home just fine with my little bag of groceries on the back, and it honestly didn't feel any more difficult.

Overall, I found myself really enjoying riding the Pashley. I think if temps were at tolerable levels for me, this couldn't have been a nearly perfect ride (well, perhaps some softer grips would've made it complete), and I am really happy that this bicycle has found her way here. I'm looking forward to doing a longer ride and really testing her on some of these "fun" hills around here in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification is on, but I've turned off the moderation portion in an attempt to make it easier for you to know that your comment has indeed made it through. We'll see how this goes, but I'm hopeful that this will help out and I'll try my best to weed through and remove spammers comments. Additionally, I recommend copying comments before hitting publish as the "blogger comment eater" seems to continue his snacking.