Sunday, February 21, 2021

My experience getting the COVID-19 vaccine

*This post is not intended to offer any medical advice to any individual. Please follow the recommendations of your personal health professionals – always – but I did want to offer up my experience because I have been fortunate enough to be able to get this vaccine fairly early on and thought sharing might be beneficial to someone.

“You can’t just get any vaccine! You need to talk to your step-dad. His son’s a nurse and has told him all about how the…” we were 20 minutes into a phone conversation and my mom was vehemently resisting the idea of me getting “just any” vaccination while we spoke on the phone. She trailed off for a couple of seconds, so I tried to head it off while she was paused and responded with, “I will get any approved vaccine that is offered to me. We need to get vaccinated so that life can return to something resembling normal. I am tired of this and I want to be able to go about life – I want to see you, and others too. Besides, we know that people won’t likely have an option as to which version they are able to get.”

It was of no use though as she continued on, calling for my step-father in the background to come and fill me in on this “information” she had received that was going to help me realize that getting “any” vaccine was a bad idea. “The Pfizer and Moderna ones are going to mess up your DNA! You can’t get them! You need to wait for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine,” she continued with her thought that had trailed off seconds prior.

At this point, as the conversation had been going on for quite awhile (and it wasn’t the first time this subject had been discussed), I could feel my patience hitting its limit. “Listen, I don’t know where you are getting your information, but it isn’t –” my volume was increasing, but I was interrupted by my step-dad’s voice as he began to “fill me in” on what my mother had been trying to explain earlier. I stood listening, phone to ear, mentally rolling my eyes, but trying to have the patience to allow him to finish. He managed to make it through without interruption, and finished by stating that they (he and my mother) would get the vaccine, but they are waiting for the J&J one that should be coming out soon.

With my mother back on the phone, she implored me, “I am your mother, and I want what is best for you, and I am telling you, you can’t get those two because -” I cut her off. I just couldn’t take any more of it, and at this point I was very nearly yelling. “Again, I will get any vaccine that is available to me. None of them are going to mess up my DN –” I was cut off with, “YES, they will. You CANNOT get them,” my mother insisted.

Our conversation went on a bit longer before ultimately ending in my mother hanging up on me. Perhaps it seems a bit unnecessary to go through this conversation, but I doubt I am the only person who has had this sort of back-and-forth with a family member, neighbor or friend. It’s a very frustrating situation and honestly, my family are the last people I want to fight with. My annoyance was stemming ultimately from the fact that they refuse to use common sense, listen to scientists and doctors, or to even perform a simple search online which would have yielded answers very quickly to what they believe to be truth, but which is in fact, not at all the case.

Interestingly enough, a few days after this conversation, I was offered the opportunity to sign up to get the COVID-19 vaccine shots. I was ecstatic because I thought it would be months before I would be able to sign up. Teachers are included in the next phase of Colorado vaccinations, so I was able to sign up via the school district through which I am employed. I was told that anyone who wanted to sign up, who was eligible to do so, would have the opportunity for a limited number of days. After the sign-up portion, a lottery/randomized system of selection would be used to decide who would go first.

As it happened, my name was drawn very quickly. The available dates/times were limited and I didn’t have much of a selection as far as where the vaccine could be administered. The closest location was about 30 miles from home and the available date for the first dose was coinciding with a previously scheduled appointment for one of our dogs (who was having a tooth extracted, and also couldn’t be rescheduled at this point as the vet is overloaded and booked several weeks out). Sam reminded me that this is important and that we’d figure out all the details later, but to get the appointment set. At the same time, I had to schedule the date for the second dose and was informed that it was important to choose dates/times that would not require rescheduling as they are doing their very best to get as many vaccinated as possible in the shortest amount of time.

The available date for the first round would be February 15, but it seemed like it would be okay because the pups’ drop off time was at 7:30a, and I wouldn’t need to be to my appointment until 9:10a. It seemed feasible that both could happen on the same morning, and so I signed myself up for both round one and the second dose, which would take place three weeks after.

A few days after, I met up with a friend outdoors to walk our dogs. We’ve done this occasionally since the start of the pandemic, so as to not feel completely isolated and to allow our dogs to see each other (because they love each other and get very excited to do anything together). I am comfortable meeting up with her because 1) we both wear masks and maintain distance while we’re together, even though we’re outside, and 2) I know that she and her boyfriend are not having unnecessary contact with other individuals and they share the same philosophy about being around others during this time.

While we chatted, I mentioned that I would be getting the first round of the vaccine a couple of days later and also talked about some of my frustration with the conversation I’d had with my mother. I realized that it’s amazing how false information can seep into my brain and cause anxiety. I had been feeling some anxiousness about getting the vaccine because, even though I know they have been through trials and at this point several people have had the vaccine, I couldn’t help but wonder about the possibility of something going wrong. After all, I have a lot of allergies (to foods, environmental, and to some medications). What if something happened? What if the anti-vaccine people were right?

It didn’t help matters that the day before the appointment I received my electronic notice to check in online so that everything would be taken care of before my arrival the following day. The consent form was a little unnerving as I read through it, and I did actually read it in its entirety. The ingredient list alone might as well have been in another language because I understood very little of it. Then, the risks of obtaining the vaccine were listed, including the more severe possibilities of a reaction. It also detailed out what an EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) is and what it means in relation to this particular vaccine. Particularly after all this reading, I could definitely understand why there are so many who are hesitant to get the shots. I understand that this information is to educate individuals, but can also see how it could create situations in which people then don’t want to receive the vaccine.

The night before the appointment, I didn’t sleep much. There was a lot running through my head between the dog’s appointment (I never like to see them go under anesthesia and I was worried about her) and my own scheduled first-round of the vaccine. Despite the logic that was present, that little bit of the unknown was floating through my mind and it was hard to allow the 95% of the science/logic/reality side to win out over the 5% that held on to doubt, fear and uneasiness. As I filtered through thoughts in bed, I told Sam, “If anything happens to me, make sure to pick up our girl in the afternoon, okay?” He laughed and reassured me that I would be just fine, but that, yes, he would pick her up if anything happened. “You will both be just fine,” he said again before he drifted to sleep.

In the morning, I dropped the dog off and told her that I’d see her in the afternoon, as I headed to my own appointment. It was a very cold morning at -8F/-22C and the roads were likely going to be icy as we’d had snow the day prior. Still, I arrived to my appointment about 45 minutes ahead of schedule. As I nervously waited to go inside (I had been told not to arrive more than 10 minutes prior to my scheduled appointment), I tried to distract myself.

At 10 minutes before my appointment, I headed inside. At the entrance, I was screened with a temperature check and asked if I had been exposed to anyone who was known to have COVID and was then guided to follow the signs posted. I followed the maze, went down an elevator, and exited to a moving line of people who directed me to the back of the group. The line seemed to go on for an eternity as I twisted around corner after corner, eventually reaching the end. “Why did they bother making appointments?” I muttered half-aloud to no one in particular. I wasn’t upset about the wait/line (I know they’re trying to get the shots to as many people as possible), but having an appointment time with hundreds of others made it seem rather silly to go through the bother of making a scheduled time to arrive. But, people were kind and everyone waited at least 6 feet behind each other and the line moved fairly swiftly. In total, it was about a 30 minute wait, which didn’t seem too terrible.

When I arrived at the room full of tables for my turn, the nurse was very polite and even happy. I asked if people had been kind to her and she said things were going well. She asked if I had a preference of the arm being used, and since my right side was closest to her, I told her we might as well go with that one. She asked if I had any allergies, at which point I proceeded to run down a list of items, which didn’t seem to concern her. I was also asked if this was my first or second shot so that she would know whether to give me a vaccination card or to fill out the one I’d been given. After cleaning the area for the injection, she then stuck the needle in.

“All done!” she exclaimed.

I was confused — “Is that it?” I asked. “Do I need to wait around or anything?”

She responded by saying that if I was concerned about a reaction, I was welcome to wait 15 minutes in one of the chairs in an area that had been set up, but otherwise, I was free to go. Not really wanting to hang out indoors with a bunch of people, I opted to head outside, but as soon as I got to the vehicle, I started having second thoughts. Maybe I should have waited to make sure? I sent Sam a text…

It is done. Should I wait before I leave, or just head home? They don’t seem to require me to wait, but I’d hate to have something happen on the way home.

Sam said to wait if I wanted, but I would probably be fine to head back, and, not wanting to really sit there with my anxious ruminations, I headed home. As I started back, my thoughts got the better of me. I seemed to be having some tightness in my chest and I had a mild headache and felt tired. Of course, these things could be explained in other ways. I hadn’t really slept the night prior, it was a really cold day and I have asthma/allergies, which often causes tightness in my chest. I also hadn’t had any food yet for the day and it was after 10:45a, so that could very well be inflicting the mild headache. None of these things were intolerable, but just enough that I noticed. Still those little seeds that had been planted hung on for a few hours before I was finally able to relax.

I went about my day as planned – the grocery store, working out, walking the dog (the one not having a tooth removed), riding a bike (though on a trainer, as you will recall that it was a very cold day), working a bit, and eventually picking up the other pup in the late afternoon (who came through her surgery very well, in case you are curious).

By late afternoon, I could feel that my arm was not happy. I would say it was a moderate level of ache in the shoulder area down to just above my elbow — something I hadn’t really anticipated – akin to having someone punch me really hard in the arm/muscle. When I’ve had shots in the past, I’ve never experienced this, but Sam has mentioned it over the years when he gets his flu shot, so this may not be as unusual as it seemed to me.

That was the worst of it though. The second day, my arm was still sore, but I could pick it up easily (unlike the day prior). I was tired in the afternoon for a few days after the shot, but whether that is because of the vaccine or for other reasons, it’s difficult to say. I’ve also noticed that my mouth has been very dry. I’ve attempted to drink more than my usual amount of water (and I normally drink a fair amount of water), but that hasn’t seemed to do much, so I’m curious to see how long that lasts. Overall, nothing has been unbearable or even difficult to tolerate, and frankly, I’m not convinced most of the happenings are even from the vaccine.

I have two weeks until the second round shot, but I believe everything will go as expected at that visit as well. I feel less anxiety about the second round, having now gone through it once, so I think that’s beneficial. My mother- and father-in-law have both just finished up their second round shots and have experienced no ill-effects. I’m glad that they were able to get them done as they are both over 70 and have health issues that could cause significant problems if they were to get infected with COVID-19.

Hopefully, Sam will be able to get the vaccine in the relatively near future. He believes this won’t happen for him until summer, but I hold out hope that anyone who wants the vaccine will be able to get it much sooner so that life can begin to resume some sense of “normal,” whatever that may be.

In the meantime, we continue to mask anywhere we go, keep our distance when we cannot avoid other people, and look forward to getting back to some of the more normal activities of spring and summer in the coming months. Hopefully, this year will be much better than last for all of us.

We cannot eliminate (at least for now) this virus from our communities, but we can protect ourselves and our loved ones by getting the vaccine when it is available to us as individuals. My point in sharing all of this is not to say that I am special or that I am the rarity. Instead, my hope is that others who are fearful of the vaccine will take this opportunity to seek out or read about others, every day people, who have had the vaccine and come out the other side without issue. I also know that I cannot reach everyone, and in particular, I cannot reach the populations who likely need to read these experiences the most; but I hope that as I share this, others who have had the opportunity to get the vaccine will share their experience as well so that we are able to develop herd immunity – and that those who have family members or friends who are hesitant or resistant to getting the vaccine will share these experiences and know that we are benefiting ourselves and those we love.

1 comment:

  1. [e-mailed comment from MG (my apologies that you weren't able to get it posted)]:

    Thank you for sharing your experience with the vaccine, G.E. It is fascinating to learn how all 3 US approved vaccines were developed and interesting that some have resistance toward the mRNA (sp?) vaccines. It sounds as though the development of these two vaccines can have a powerful and positive affect on addressing other areas of health and disease. Wishing you the best on shot 2 and looking forward to better times ahead for all.

    ReplyDelete

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.