Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Happy Thanksgiving

This past Friday, our state moved up to the “red” level of protection/caution for the pandemic. Like many states, Colorado is experiencing an increase in COVID cases and the governor’s hope is to get things under control. With Thanksgiving upon us, most people I’ve observed don’t seem to be giving much thought to the increase in caution and the request to stay home. It’s frustrating to me as someone who has stayed away from others as much as is possible since this all started, but I am also aware that I cannot control what others choose to do.

My own family has chosen to disregard the request to stay home and celebrate this holiday with only those in their immediate households. My mother has her grandson flying from one state to hers and her sister flying in from yet another state, and then the four of the individuals there (my step-dad is in the mix too) will drive two hours across state lines to celebrate Thanksgiving with two other households with a total of 10 individuals. Her response when I questioned this plan was to laugh and say, “Well, we’ll wear masks.” They won’t wear masks. I know my family and they believe this isn’t anything to be concerned about. My younger brother has similar plans involving friends and co-workers and his response to me was, “I’m just not concerned about the virus.”

I share this not because I think my family is special (nor to be a holiday downer). I know many others are going through a similar situation — one in which the family is divided among individuals who have concern for keeping themselves and others safe and healthy, and those who think this virus is a hoax or at least not something of any great concern. It’s a challenging time to deal with family for many, even without this huge thing hanging over all of us, but this virus seems to be dividing people even more. I don’t think I’m living my life in fear, as some would suggest, but rather using the information that has been presented by experts to make rational, safe decisions for myself and those I love.

Do I want to be doing regular things? Absolutely. Will I choose to be irresponsible and potentially expose someone I care about to getting really sick or dying? No. That isn’t how my family views this though. Instead, I am regularly ridiculed because they view my opinion as irrational and me trying to avoid seeing them. The guilt trips often work, but not right now. I am doing this primarily for their safety (particularly the older relatives), and for myself as well. My parents are in their mid-70s, both have had strokes in the last few years, and one has asthma too. In my mind, there’s no reason to potentially put them in harms way.

If you’ve followed me for any amount of time though, you already know that I have a hard time during the holidays. I don’t particularly enjoy being around my family or doing traditional “things” that most Americans do this time of year. In fact, about the only real tradition we have in our household is to not do anything traditionally Thanksgiving. Well, that and our now annual event of cycling to and up NCAR (assuming that we aren’t in the middle of a snow storm, like last year) to earn whatever food we’ve decided on for that particular year (this year will be breakfast buffet, in case anyone is wondering – I can already feel the stomachache coming on). Oh, and I do always make pie — but I suppose I’ll make pie any time of year, if requested.

From our first annual NCAR ride a few years ago

In reality, I am of the mindset that holidays or special occasions can be celebrated at any time and on any day. They can also be celebrated (or not celebrated) however a person chooses. There’s no reason to feel as though I am missing out on something on Thursday simply because that is the nationally designated day to be grateful if I am unable to (or choose not to) do what would normally be done.

So, if like us, you are celebrating in a non-traditional manner, or if you have chosen to forego the requests to stay at home this Thanksgiving and are traveling to be with loved ones, I hope you will spend the day finding a little bit of time to be grateful for the blessings that have come your way this year. Although it hasn’t been a shining example of a year I would choose to repeat, there have been little things or moments that have made me smile, brought joy, or otherwise made me pause with a bit of gratitude. More often than not, the everyday things that I often overlook are those things that made me happy this year, and perhaps that has made the year not as bad as it seems in the bigger picture sense.

Wherever you are and however you spend it, may you find those little things that make you happy. Wishing you and yours a healthy, safe, and happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.