Sunday, October 21, 2012

Flying Bicycles

Over the course of any given day, I find myself looking for information on a particular topic, area, item, etc.  Every once in awhile, these searches land me in the midst of something I don't completely understand, or that I find myself wondering how I ended up finding the particular "thing." The most recent of these odd finds has been the flying bicycle.

I had no idea that flying bicycles were such a popular topic, or I suppose I should say, attempted experiment. This first one just left me scratching my head.


Then, I happened upon this video, which seemed a little more plausible. At least it actually flew, so that was pretty exciting.


The "Return of the Jedi" type flying bicycle was a somewhat more modern version of the flying bike.


But, then I happened to notice that some Czech engineers have actually designed a flying bicycle, too.


What I found most interesting about the Czech design is that it rides like a regular bicycle, but can then take off for up to five minutes. Imagine being able to fly out of the way of traffic or a road block. The design was supposed to be tested in mid-August, and was not intended to ever go into mass-production, but I couldn't find additional details anywhere. What do you think? Would you want to own a flying bicycle if it were affordable? Is it the wave of the future? I suppose we're still not using hover craft as regular transportation, so flying bikes probably aren't quite something I need to worry myself with at this point in time. Still, the idea is rather fascinating, I think.

1 comment:

  1. I think I might like to own one (if affordable), but just as a recreational thing, not an "ever day" commuter. I think it's much more reasonable/sustainable that actual flying cars or something like that! It might be nice to be able to cut over fields, and get to places as the "crow" fly's every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.