Friday, June 8, 2012

Knee Fat, Clothing, and Summer

The other day I wore shorts for the first time in quite awhile. I don't look awesome in them, and I didn't feel as though I suddenly looked better and therefore could get away with wearing shorts, but it was hot and I didn't want to be covered up head to toe, so I went for it.

Most of my weight is carried in my hips and legs. I was "blessed" with tree trunks and even as I lose weight, the legs stay on the hefty side. I don't mind having larger legs, but what I don't love is the knee fat associated with my larger legs. What is knee fat? Well, "knee fat" is that excess girth that surrounds the knee area. In my case, it runs from my calf area to just above my knee, along the interior of my legs. Not only is this unsightly, but it's actually a pain to deal with on a daily basis. It makes many activities, including just walking down the street unpleasant, and at times, actually painful. Oddly, my legs seem to be comprised of pure muscle and pure fat, and not much in between - meaning that the separation between the two areas is quite obvious.

I have trouble finding pants that even fit correctly through the legs. Manufacturers don't seem to cater to those with extra meat exclusively between the calf and knee area, so I have to look for wide leg pants (which, conveniently are out of style right at the moment) to wear jeans/pants that don't look freakish. It would seem that wearing shorts or skirts would be the best option, but then my knee fat rubs together when I walk (for most humans this happens in the thigh area - for me, I get to have my knees rubbing), and while I have grown used to this, there are times when pants just make more sense.

Although I'm not looking for pity because of this oddity, at times I see others who are overweight and notice that they have perfectly lovely legs, yet for some reason, they seem to be ashamed to show them off. Why? If you have something beautiful, don't hide it. There's no reason to put those legs behind clothing. Personally, I have given up hiding and just wear what I want, especially when the temperatures near triple digits. You won't find me strutting down the streets in a swim suit, but at the same time, I'm not going to wait to wear shorts, skirts or dresses until I'm some possible ideal future size. In short, I think simply wearing clothes that make me feel good and/or comfortable is the best route, rather than having fear about what someone else might think.

This summer, I'm wearing what I want - public opinion be damned... or at least, that is the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.