Friday, March 23, 2012

Finding Kickboxing

About a year or so ago, the woman who cuts my hair and I were chatting about life and we rolled somehow onto the topic of exercise. I was telling her that I used to take a "real" kickboxing class back in the mid-90s, and have been unable to find a class like that again. I've been to plenty of the cardio-kickboxing type of classes, but it's simply not the same as having an actual bag to kick and hit. A wonderful stress reliever, if truth be told. She mentioned that she had been attending a kickboxing class just down the street for awhile now and that I should come by and check it out. That's just what I did...

A year later. Okay, so perhaps I'm not the quickest responder of calls to action, but I got there eventually. Sometimes people just need time to figure things out for themselves, and for me, it took about a year to get my rear physically to where it needed to be. Today was that first class. Having taken kickboxing before (though many years ago), I knew I would be sore after the class, but even having that knowledge, I wasn't prepared for the pain that awaited me. I had been warned by other attendees to be prepared for a diet of ibuprofen for the next several days to help alleviate some of the aches. I'm not much of a pill taker (even aspirin), so I really didn't want to go down that road. However, after a short amount of time feeling the pain, I went ahead and gave in to the suggestion.

This class is going to be awesome. The owner allows a week of attendance to figure out whether or not it's the right thing for the individual, but I can tell that this is exactly what I am in need of right now. It's not the cheapest thing ever, but at the same time, can I really put a price on health? I feel like I have found my exercise home. Even if it doesn't last long term, I can sense that this is setting me down the right path.

Here's to exercise - and all those wonderful, wonderful endorphins that come along with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification is on, but I've turned off the moderation portion in an attempt to make it easier for you to know that your comment has indeed made it through. We'll see how this goes, but I'm hopeful that this will help out and I'll try my best to weed through and remove spammers comments. Additionally, I recommend copying comments before hitting publish as the "blogger comment eater" seems to continue his snacking.