Wednesday, August 17, 2011

One Reason I Ride

Life never ceases to amaze me. As a child and teenager, I used to daydream about my future life and career - what it would entail, what I'd be doing, and so on. When I was 8 years old, I vividly remember trying to imagine what it would be like to be 23 years old. My assumption at that young age was that I would be done with college, teaching somewhere, be married, and have a child by that point in life. Twenty-three seemed ancient to me. I couldn't really tell anyone why 23 was such a magical age in my head at that point, but looking at it now from well beyond that point, I wish I could go back and tell that 8 year old self to just go play and not worry about what the future holds.
Having passed that magical age many years ago now, I still haven't learned my lesson about trying to live in the future. I find myself {more often than I care to admit} thinking about what is coming over the horizon, or activities that are weeks, months, or even years away. I try to plan them out, or long for them just to "get here already." It's not that I'm so much a planner, but I like to weigh out all the possibilities if I were to take a different fork in the road. I enjoy being able to change my mind, so there's almost a sense of anxiety when I have to make a decision because the event is so close at hand.
One of the benefits I've found with riding a bicycle is that it's one of the few times I'm able to simply live in the moment. As I'm huffing up a hill or staring out at the country side, I can appreciate what is around me in that space and time. I don't think about work that needs to be done, chores that should have been completed long ago, or any other future activities or events that are coming up. In short, I feel happy and at one with my surroundings. Just one of the many reasons I love to ride.

How about you? What do you love about riding your bicycle?

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. When I ride, I feel like a kid again. Just like you, all my cares subside and I just live in the moment. I feel a huge smile on my face the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you've ever dabbled in mindfulness, I think you'll agree that on the bike is a great place to practice just BEING, being fully present and in the moment.

    And like elvisavery, I also feel like a kid, in a good way. Free, and worry-free.

    I like having time to read street signs and notice flowers & stuff that you can't while whizzing by in a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the magic age I always wanted to be was 24. And actually, when I got there, it was a pretty interesting year - looking back at it now! (a year of many changes). I now find myself wondering when I should retire - in the next few years to ensure that I can enjoy more of life while I have my health? Or, work to the normal 65 and perhaps be more financially prepared. Oh, the worry!, but you are absolutely right, getting on ones back just brings you into the "now"!, and really, thats all that matters! Thanks for the great post! :)

    ReplyDelete

I believe that comment issues when posting have been resolved; however, I recommend copying your comment before sending it through to make sure that Blogger doesn't eat your comment. If you still have problems, please feel free to email your comment and I will gladly post it for you either with your name or anonymously (whichever you prefer). Thank you.